Thursday, August 4, 2011

My apologies.

I am sorry, dear readers that I have been neglecting this blog. Sometimes it is hard for me to pull myself out of my  stress and procrastination to post.

I have been working on school projects and been setting up meetings with professors. At this point, I need to be dialing up the networking to try to get jobs. I've made some decisions about the future and though my goals are a moving target, I think I am getting closer to knowing what appeals to me in this field.

Israel is lots of fun, but I need to travel around it a little more. The city I live in is nice, but it gets boring. I want to  experience different parts of the country and meet lots of people. I want to improve my Hebrew as well. I might even learn some Arabic. One of our professors speaks stunningly beautiful Arabic and it has made me realize how useful it would be to be able to communicate independently.

Next week I hope to go to Jerusalem for Tisha B'Av, the day of mourning for the destruction of the First and Second Temples.



I find it so moving to hear the reading of the Book of Lamentations overlooking the walls of the Old City. I have some disagreements with the politicization of the day by the Israeli religious right wing, but I feel that personally it is useful to have a particular day devoted to mourning for the difficulties of our people. Last year in Seattle I attended an event with the Burundi refugee community on this day to talk about memories and exile. They were so struck by the Jewish propensity to formally remember these kinds of days and hold on the culture.

Also, it has been scorchingly hot, even at night. It is hard to sleep when it is so hot!

Hmm... That's a little morose. Let's see how I can cheer this up. I am happy. That's pretty cheerful!

No comments: