Monday, February 11, 2013

Adventures in Low-Carbing

Ugh. What a title. I sicken myself.

But seriously, I've been trying to maintain a low-ish carb diet for several months and I can tell you that I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel so damn good! The trade-off that I have settled on is that I will reduce my carb and sugar intake, but drastically increase my protein and fat intake. I feel fuller, more energetic, and generally better.



The most difficult thing is dessert. There have been some awful ones - a miserable almond and chocolate cake that closely resembled asphalt in both flavor and density. And I am cursed to forever remember the pancakes with the same appetizing texture as wet flannel.

As such I have devised this recipe for little almond flour spice cookies. I cheated a little bit with the whole wheat flour, but I am convinced that they would be fine without it.


Please bear in mind that the measurements are all rather approximate. I hope I documented it all accurately.

Almond Flour Low-Carb Spice Cookies


1¼ cup almond flour
½ cup unsweetened finely flaked or powdered coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (you might need more if you are using ground nutmeg)
1½ teaspoon (though feel free to add more) cinnamon
3 packets of sucralose sweetener(splenda)
About 50 grams melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
About a teaspoon of liquid sucralose sweetener
Two or three drops (LITERALLY) of liquid Stevia sweetener
1 egg
¼ cup whole wheat flour/rice flour/another flour

Mix the almond flour, powdered coconut, baking powder,spices and dry sweetener in a bowl.
Pour in the melted butter and vanilla and mix.
Add liquid sweeteners and stir until combined.
Add the egg and mix until combined.
Add flour as needed to make dough that is easy to roll into balls.
Roll balls that are about ¾ of an inch in diameter and flatten lightly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes.

DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE THE SUCRALOSE SWEETENERS WITH STEVIA.
BAD THINGS HAPPEN.









No comments: