Friday, July 15, 2011

Italy 3: Napoli to Roma

On the Friday morning of my trip, G and I took the train to Rome.
As usual, there were some hilariously well-timed occurrences that turned the trip into a comedy of errors. The main example was that my suitcase's tall handle (used for the convenient rolling function of the suitcase) broke as we started on our way to the train station. I ended up lugging the damned thing through the street of Naples.
In the end, we bought a roll of medical tape in the Termini station in Rome and fixed the handle. Hilarious.

In any case, This is a photo of chez Lambert.


And Lady Henry Lambert. She's the snuggliest cat ever!


On the train as we left Naples. Next to us were a pack of older Italian men with really crazy regional accents, chatting away as G and I filled the trip with religious conversation. It's so wonderful to have someone to chat with all the time! Though out the trip I didn't use my MP3 player because G and J and I were talking all the time.


Italian countryside! I was so struck by how green it was. I didn't realize how used to the Israeli color palate I am!



G and I arrived in Rome and had lots of trouble finding the God forsaken metro to take us to the hostel. We were staying in Northeastern Rome. An area that is fairly residential. There are few tourists, and we liked it like that!
Here is G doing her best Joanie pose in the hostel.



Oasis lyrics on the sidewalk.



G took me into the city to see some tourist sites like the Spanish Steps. There were vendors trying to sell flowers and other random things. I should have bought a parasol there. It would have come in handy in sweltering, searingly bright Rome.

I decide not to schlep up the stairs. It didn't appeal.



ROMA!



We wandered over to the Trevi Fountain, but on our way, I needed sustenance. We stopped for zucchini pizza. BEST. THING. EVER. Simple and delicious.





Then we walked up to the Villa Barbarini - a beautiful building with a good museum. We didn't have time to go in, but we admired the building.





Then we walked up to the Four Seasons piazza. There are statues in each corner of the intersection representing the seasons. Sadly, most of them were covered in grime from the cars.



After that we went back to the hostel to get ready for Shabbat.
We went to a lovely family's house for a delicious dinner, good company and in my case, getting flirted with by handsome Italian Jewish man. I had no idea that he was flirting with me until G and J clued me in after dinner. I'm oblivious!

The next day we went to the other family's house that I mentioned in a previous ranting post. 

Then we had a lovely siesta and went into the city to watch sunset over the Roman Forum. 
Pictures in the next post!

No comments: