Friday, July 8, 2011

On getting used to things

I find it difficult to adjust sometimes.

Many changes are easy, they just roll off my back. I think it is because a lot of the sacrifices are accompanied by huge benefits.

The pay off for losing Trader Joe's and Whole Foods as grocery stores is going to the Shuk HaCarmel and meeting the farmers and shopkeepers.

By losing my favorite clothing stores, I have learned to shop carefully, with an eye for detail. I have also started crafting more and remixing my existing clothes in new ways. My new rule is that a new item of clothing must be worth taking back to the States in a suitcase AND that it must have at least five potential outfit possibilities.

Now that I have long (for me) hair, I am frustrated by the weight and heat-retention while enjoying the new updos and not having to wash it before leaving the house.

And the trade off for giving up some independence and solitude is the lovely companionship that comes from being with people. The trouble comes when I have to go back to the way I was after having togetherness. It hurts and I don't see a pay off.

No comments: