Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What a day!

I went to a marvelous lecture today at school about Religion and Peace-building efforts in the region. The rabbi giving the lecture was amazing. Intelligent, cultured, with an international perspective and he was so passionate about his work. His emphasis on the authenticity of Judaism including concern for human rights and equality was inspirational. He is part of the Council of Religious Institutions in the Holy Land and does work around the world. He talked about moderate Muslims having a tough time being heard over the fanatic clamor.



My socks have been rocked!

Then we had a class with the marvelous D.A. He is so knowledgeable and has a wonderfully interconnected way of thinking. I even gathered the courage to answer a question that I didn't really know the answer to, but I did my best. I'm pretty sure I bombed the midterm for that class, though, because D.A. remembered my answers and said that I can come to his office hours to discuss it. Oy.

We talked about the 1983 War Crisis and the 50th anniversary of a man sent into space (which is today!).


After class I went for hot cocoa with E. and MayBell. MayBell and I preceded to debate the recent French law forbidding the wearing of the burka and niqab in public. We talked about propriety, assimilation, minority rights, integration, the Democratic Dilemma (the title of one of my courses!), and European versus American culture. It was lovely!

A good day for YGirl in academic heaven!

No comments: